market-farming - Re: corporations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: corporations
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:50:02 -0500

Jill,

I don't what it is that causes some of you folks on the other side of the
spectrum to take the position that a corporations purpose is not to "provide
needed good or services as well as a decent livelihood for its works, rather
than "only profits."

Surely you understand that the main purpose of any business, corporation or
otherwise, is to provide goods and/or services that consumers want. The
profits only come about if you can do this in a successful manner. This is
true of all businesses. Just becoming a corporation (and many farms are
doing that now) doesn't somehow make any change in the way you do business.
We have a number of corporations that are actually in the red.

The main criticism that I have is that we are so focused on the short term
and put pressure on our leaders and executives to get results now, today,
and do not reward them well for longer term accomplishments. There may be
some changes on that score with the current economic climate. So that is a
very healthy thing.

> *revising and reforming our election system so that money is less able to
> corrupt our elected officials, so that they are representing us primarily
> rather than corporations primarily
> * educate people as to what is going on, so they are aware of the
> threat and
> erosion of the basic rights that we all value on this list

Our elected officials need to represent the people in their district. Ours
certainly do a good job. Do you know your legislators? Especially your state
representative and senator? I certainly do. Do you really get involved in
the political system through your farm organization or other organziation? I
certainly do. In fact, our state rep is "offended" if we don't invite him to
our local Farm Bureau annual and multi-county board of directors meetings.

One of the main things that I did this year was volunteer as the PD Chair
(Policy Development) for our County FB Cooperative. We had a very good year
and brought in many key local leaders such as County Board Chair, Sheriff,
state farm leaders, etc.

On a final note, we have to be very careful about eroding our basic rights
under the Constitution with too many limits of financial support of
candidates for office. Under today's rules, you could no longer have a Gene
McCarthy challenge the Presidency because what was done then would now be
illegal since one benefactor could not give that much money for one
candidate. There are always unintended consequences for our actions.

> I agree that it is good to have a list that encompasses all. We all
> fight so hard to provide healthy food. It is very important to
> know what is
> going on in this country and world, as it affects the survival of us, our
> children, and the land that we all value so much.

We certainly agree on that. Even if in our own way.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers