market-farming - Re: patty pan size

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marlin Burkholder" <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: patty pan size
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:46:02 -0700

Subject: [market-farming] patty pan size

I can't keep up and have been harvesting many close to softball
> size. Is this a real mistake as far as eating quality.

I have grown Sunburst patty pans for several years now. They should never
get bigger than a coffee cup (some say teacup)size for optimum eating
quality. I put some in my CSA shares that were larger than that and I don't
recall anyone complaining. One thing I am slowly learning which probably
applies to any kind of summer squash -- plant half as much as you think you
are going to need and that should be about double what you are really going
to need ;>).

Marlin B

  • patty pan size, Leigh Hauter, 08/29/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: patty pan size, Rick Williams, 08/29/2002
    • Re: patty pan size, Marlin Burkholder, 08/29/2002