market-farming - RE: patty pan size

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rick Williams" <mrfarm AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: patty pan size
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 11:06:19 -0500

Leigh Hauter wrote:

> Just got in from pulling a couple hundred patty pans (sunburst). Are
> they growing fast! What size do you harvest these? My subscribers
> are accustomed to buying them from market very small.

> My concern, since I don't have to go to market and sell each one,
> they are already sold to my subscribers, are larger, mature patty
> pans that much lower in taste, texture quality?

We have the butter scallop cultivar. And they are amazingly prolific. We
have found that with our variety that 3" is a good size for slicing and
adding to salads. Then if they get around 4 1/2" to 5" they are still OK for
sauteeing (they work very well with onions). The maximum we go is around 6"
but that seems to be pushing it a bit. Maybe others have different results.

Sincerely,

Rick Williams
Misty Ridge Farm
Dairy heifers and dairy beef graziers
Viroqua, WI

www.mistyridgefarm.com

  • patty pan size, Leigh Hauter, 08/29/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: patty pan size, Rick Williams, 08/29/2002
    • Re: patty pan size, Marlin Burkholder, 08/29/2002