market-farming - Kobuta vs John Deere tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Kris Chand <kchand AT island.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Kobuta vs John Deere tractors
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:39:14 -0700

I am debating between a mid range ( 27-30 PTO hp) 4 WD tractor purchase
between Kubota and John Deere products. We are a very small certified farm
growing garlic and fresh produce for May- Oct farmers market. Our main
use is for turning compost and transporting compost to planting beds - ie
bucket as large as can be put on this size tractor. We spread the compost
by wheelbarrows ( hard work) because we havenot located a small spreader
to fit our size of operation ( does any body know how to solve this
problem? It is really hard works manually!!).
Other uses for the tractor are cultivator and disk ( few hours a year) or
plow to turnover cover crops.
Any experience and/or info will be appreciated.
Kris Chand
Blue Heron Farm
Parksville BC