market-farming - Re: isolation requirements for peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: isolation requirements for peppers
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:11:57 -0500

Alternatively, Shep Ogden (of the Cook's Garden)
> suggested to me that I put Remay over any variety for I'd like to save
> seeds. The Remay would go on before the plant flowers.

I have read that one just needs about 8' for isolation for peppers as
they are self pollinators (like tomatoes and beans) but i like about 24'.

Remay is not the best choice for cover as it can roast peppers plants if
it gets above 95F. Tufbell is far superior but it cost about 7x more
than row cover. The good side is it will last 10+ years, is UV stable,
it is much tougher than row cover (though a dog can destroy a thousand
bucks worth in an afternoon of fun) and will not ever roast plants. Like
row cover it lets rain in to water plants.

The bad things about tufbell is the price and the fact only one place in
the US carries it-Peaceful Valley Farm Supply (www.groworganic.com)

Would love to see Johnny's carry this product.

> --

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)