market-farming - Re: isolation requirements for peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: isolation requirements for peppers
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:04:16 -0500

Conventional wisdom says you need about 8' of isolation between peppers
varieties to get pure seed but on an organic farm you need more space as
there are something 100X the pollinators on an organic farm as on a farm
that uses pesticides.

We plant our peppers and tomatoes in the same area. We do one bed of
maters than a bed of peppers, than tomatoes etc.. Our beds are 4' wide
so that gives us 8 linear feet plus the 'maters, being tall offer even
more protection from cross pollination

If you are not saving seed and just want to make sure the bells stay
sweet and the hots hot, don't worry. That information is already in the
seed at the time of planting so sweet bells will stay sweet and hots
will stay hot even if planted side by side.

Now if you save seed from that arrangement you probably would get sweet
jalapenos and hot red bells in some but not all of your plants from the
saved seed.

In your case you really don't need to worry about isolation.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)