market-farming - Re: isolation requirements for peppers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: isolation requirements for peppers
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 08:38:17 -0500

This is a common question. I'll weigh in as someone who makes his
living growing peppers.

The heat expresses itself in the seed of the NEXT generation - not in
the current generation. So, there are no isolation requirements for
THIS YEAR'S crop. Sweet peppers will not become hotter just because
they're planted next to hot peppers (I interplant sweet and hot peppers,
and have for nearly 10 years). If your sweet pepper is hot, it's
because you've planted a seed which has crossed with a hot pepper.

If you want to save seed, however, you need a minimum of 1,500 feet
between varieties. Alternatively, Shep Ogden (of the Cook's Garden)
suggested to me that I put Remay over any variety for I'd like to save
seeds. The Remay would go on before the plant flowers. As peppers are
self-pollinating, you don't need insects, so Remay will work just fine.
Shep also suggested tapping the plant when you remember it to increase
fruit production.

--
Robert Farr
(540) 668-7160