market-farming - RE: wireworm treatment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT bcn.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: wireworm treatment
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:51:09 -0400

My understanding is that the wire worm adult likes to lay its eggs into
grassland in the fall of the previous year and therefore are worst in land
that has been plowed down from pasture. They like to live in decomposing raw
organic matter. This suggests using mature compost, not planting veggies
into land that is freshly plowed down from sod and doing whatever you can to
enhance the breakdown of grass residues. This is one occasion I like to see
the ubiquitous crow at work on the soil doing some good for a change. If you
already have the problem maybe you could attract more birds with some
inexpensive grain spread on the effected ground.
Yours
David Inglis
Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.

  • wireworm treatment, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 07/23/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • RE: wireworm treatment, David Inglis, 07/25/2001
    • RE: wireworm treatment, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 07/25/2001