market-farming - Re: one-upmanship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: one-upmanship
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:07:37 -0500

Okay Marie, Marj, and Miranda - I've probably got you all beat by a little -
I was 21 when Kennedy was shot with a 1 1/2 year old son (yeah we started
young here in Kansas also Miranda - I'm now a great-gramma! but that's
another story!) I loved Little Lulu - but mostly loved any comic books,
especially if I could read them in the summer and eat Popsicles. I'd spend
my whole allowance on comics and Popsicles. Even had subscriptions to the
best comics.

My grampa brought us a television in the fall of '49, I think he was selling
them. There wasn't a darn thing on it but I remember sitting on the floor
watching Howdy Dowdy and the test pattern. It seems like in the early days
it was on from about 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. or so. It certainly didn't cut into
my mother's listening to the soaps on the radio while she worked around the
house. I remember those quite clearly - One Man's Family, etc.

And Marie - I can tell you that there weren't vegetables in our house back
then - unless you count the canned (store bought) variety - limp, colorless,
things that we wouldn't even recognize. I was thinking while I picked green
beans yesterday that the only fresh green beans I would eat were at my
grammas and we'd sit on the porch in the afternoon shade and snap the beans
and talk. I never trim beans without thinking of that. And there are lots
of hot weather practices that I copy from gramma - she really knew how to
work around summer heat and still get things done AND have a leisurely
afternoon.

We finally turned on the air conditioning yesterday because its heading
towards 100ยบ but I'll still sit under the pin oak in the front yard to clean
the garlic for market and all.

Gotta dig potatoes before its sweltering out there - thanks for the
memories! (Who said that?)

joan
windwalker farm