market-farming - advertising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Victoria Mundy Bhavsar <toria AT pop.uky.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: advertising
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 13:18:00 -0400

Hi everyone,
Interesting discussion about advertising, from my perspective as a
non-farmer. I'm a CSA member, by the way, my research is on soils from
organic farms, I worked on a pick-your-own, I've worked in sustainable
agriculture extension, I even read ACRES USA :D. So I'm pretty
knowledgeable, at least as much as a non-farmer can get.

As a non-farmer, a buyer, the places that I pay attention to are
announcements at the local food co-op, public radio, word-of-mouth, etc.
I'm pretty stupid about the subtle ramifications of design (I'm not sure I
would pick up on a "spilled" basket vs. a basket on its side, for example).
But I agree with everyone who's pointed out that you at *least* have to
provide the information. If the customers don't know you are there, don't
know how to contact you, the times you're open, etc., there is no way they
can buy from you.

I am wondering why, though, there is a lot of resistance to the idea of
serious advertising (aside from hating to spend money on something that
does not seem to contribute directly to the farm -- how do you *know* the
impact of that advertising dollar?!)

I had a couple of ideas, and forgive me if I sound patronizing or any awful
thing like that, I sure don't mean to.

For one thing, this food is so wonderful that people should be running to
the farms, begging to buy it, and thanking God on bended knee for such
amazing farmers. It's true! :) If you grow it, people *should* come, the
moment they hear it's available...unfortunately they don't.

Secondly, I have met very few farmers yet who went into farming because
they "love working with people!!!" Most of the farmers I know tend to be
sort of introverted, much more enjoying the farming than the selling. I
met a woman once at a trade show, standing sulkily behind a boothful of
ostrich and emu eggs, who said, rolling her eyes, "God, I hate being here.
I'd so much rather be with the birds. Why do I have to *sell* the stuff
too?" I didn't buy anything from her.

A third thing is that many of the people here are very commited to the idea
of close, local relationships, and advertising smacks of something faintly
distasteful in a relationship...I mean, I wouldn't put up a flyer in the
co-op saying, "Girl available Friday nights." Even if I was single.

So why is it? And how can people like me help the farmers we depend on?
Tell our friends? Write letters to the editor? (Which won't be published
for months!!)

Victoria
Victoria Mundy Bhavsar
Dept. of Agronomy, N106R Ag. Sci. North, UK
Lexington, KY 40546-0091 606/257-2103
...But other seed fell into good soil and brought
forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold,
some thirtyfold... St. Matthew 13:8