market-farming - School, visit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: School, visit
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:16:36 -0400

Tracie in NH, Thanks for the note, we are neighbors, I am in Massachusetts.
I plan to plant sunflowers and yes a note is going home about coming back to
visit them. I am also going to include my email so that any of my new
"friends" or their parents can email me. Our CSA is full for this year so
any contacts would be for future members. Would it be appropriate/feasible
to invite them to give me a call or email if they'd like to purchase a few
"a la carte" veggies at retail prices. Either as a test of our product for
future members or simply as retail sales? Granted I don't know what our
yields will be and CSA comes first, but I'd love to make a little $$ from
the surplus, just haven't figured out how yet :). Thanks, Beth

<While having a farm visit, I would try to get students to come back in some
way, later in the season.&nbsp; I once heard from a woman who said she had
children plant sunflower seeds, gave them directions, and told them to come
back at such and such a date when they would be in bloom.&nbsp; Something
like that would get them back with their parents, so that they would have a
reason to remember your farm in the future.&nbsp; This may be better than a
pin that ends up in the dump some day.&nbsp; A lasting memory...
<How many acres do you farm?&nbsp;&nbsp; This visit will be a great
opportunity for future members to get to see your farm.
<
>Tracie in NH

  • School, visit, Hook Family, 05/31/2001