market-farming - Re: market-farming Apprentices Versus Hired Help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Apprentices Versus Hired Help
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 06:07:07 -0500

The formula for college hours is:

Class Hours + 3 hours of study or preparation for every hour spent in class
= The time you'd better be spending at school and working on your courses.
(That's what I used to tell my advisees)

For a 12-hour (Full-Time) credit load that is: 12 + 36 = 48 hours per week.
Not anywhere near 100.

The difference between an intern (student) and an employee?

An employee has contracted to work in exchange for monetary or other
compensation.
The employer agrees to provide the compensation for the work.
The employee is not a student even though some on the job training or
education should and will occur.

An intern has contracted for on-the-job training.
The trainer agrees to provide competent training as promised or advertised.
The intern is a customer not an employee even though the intern may be asked
to do compensated or uncompensated work as part of the training process.

By the way, I noticed that the lead advertisement for interns at this site
includes a $1200 per month stipend and most offer assistance in finding
decent housing.

http://www.attra.org/attra-rl/intern.html

I am sorry to say that I have observed the abuse of farm workers, farmers'
children and farmers' families. I don't even think you ought to be able to
force your own children to work on the farm. My parents never asked me to
do their work for them.

I also spent eight years overseeing college internships for my students. It
took exactly two years of following up on abuses of unpaid (based on sexism,
racism and a complete lack of professionalism) that I nixed all unpaid

internships. Believe me. When employers were paying for our student
interns the abuses didn't occur. Internships are for education not slave
labor.

Del