market-farming - Re: market-farming Apprentices Versus Hired Help

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kevin Ancell" <kancell AT goodearthgardens.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Apprentices Versus Hired Help
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 06:51:16 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarming.com>

> Today you said:
> >Internships are for education not slave labor.
>

> So which is it, Del??
>
> I'm sorry folks. I feel like I'm reading alot of whining because you've
> chosen a field in which labor is a prime factor--and when your own labor
> isn't enough and you need to "buy" more--then you bitch because no one
else
> has the same "vision", "passion", etc. The labor market is tighter now
than
> ever--whether for the mall, or on our farms. If I had hired staff, I
could
> work more acreage. But I don't want hired help, so I have to be content
> with what we can work ourselves--and accept those limitations.

Liz- You are dead on with your analysis! I do want to add that good help is
easy to find if you are willing to pay for it!

I had two farm hands last year and we paid both of them $8 per hour for 40
hour weeks from May to November 1. They thought it was GREAT as we started
about 5am and they got off around 1 or 2pm during the hottest part of the
day! And they got to take home all the vegetables they could carry. We had
people coming by all the time looking to be hired on. Not criminals or low
lifes but hard working people that were tired of working behind a desk or
infront of a grill flipping burgers.

My wife and I and handled the on farm sales over the weekend and we were
able to pick what we needed.

If farmers or any other business are not able to make a go of it they need
to consider other options.

Kevin