market-farming - sweet potato update

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: sweet potato update
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 21:00:03 -0500

Regards to the list:

Friday, I pulled two shoots off the sweet potato that is lying in the Corning Ware dish of water. I stuck them in a quart jar of water and today they both have lots of small white roots. I plant to transplant them to pots in a few days. More and more shoots are growing out of the sweet potato. Meanwhile, in a bucket in a dark corner of the basement a few small sweet potatoes are growing sprouts that look like regular potato sprouts. I suppose I'll cut them up and plant them. I may never have to buy sweet potato plants again!

We got lots more rain this weekend and the south third of the garden is under water. The asparagus is doing extremely well as are the strawberries. The new plantings of blackberries are growing but the newly planted grafted apple trees look like they're all dead.

There are 6 baby geese with 6 more pipped.

A wild turkey has been hanging out here. He likes to mess around the compost pile and comes and eats gravel from the road by the front yard. He also gets into the sheep pen and hangs out with them. The chickens, geese, cats, dog and guineas pay no attention to him. If the whole herd of turkeys is walking along the ditch, the poultry etc here get all excited.

A pair of purple martins has settled into the martin house. We welcome them with open arms. We hope more will show up. Hubby bought a large martin house at an auction and we don't have it put up yet. I would like to line the whole farm with martin houses. Then let a tomato horn worm dare show up here! Gotcha!

Dori, your web site is wonderful! Thanks. I would like to rescue sheep.

And that's how it is here.

Marie in Missouri

  • sweet potato update, Marie Kamphefner, 05/06/2001