market-farming - Re: More bad luck starting plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More bad luck starting plants
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 08:48:17 -0500

> Hi Jill, > I am interested, where did you read this? I would like to
know more about this.> Bill Carver

Good Morning, Bill,

I know that was an extreme statement - but I try to focus on one thing at a
time when I learn about its horrors - there are so many horrors, it is too
confusing to concentrate on them all. So, baby step by baby step I change
my behaviors to go with knowledge that I gain.

No, it was not from Trade Secrets, but rather from Paul Hawken's book _The
Ecology of Commerce: A Declaration of Sustainability._ I would quote from
it, but I leant it out, and think I will need to get another one.

Chlorine is always ready to combine with other things, and that is part of
what makes it problematic. I am researching this morning to give you some
background, and came upon this page: http://www.doulton.ca/chlorine.html

Also this page by Greenpeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/search.shtml lays
it all out pretty clearly. What I am looking to learn now is what kind of
plastics are made without cholorine, and where I can get them. Plastics are
everywhere, and surely would be a wonderful thing if they were not so toxic.
So, that is my next goal.

The Ecology of Commerce is a very good book:
Description from The Reader's Catalog (from barnesandnoble.com site)
When best-selling author Hawken first proposed his radical theory in the
pages of INC. Magazine, the response was an avalanche of mail. Simply
stated, he argues that the business community is the last and only entity
powerful enough to reverse global environmental and social degradation. By
manufacturing products in innovative ways, reeducating the consumer, and
restoring the relationship between government and business, there is hope
for a better future