market-farming - Re: More bad luck starting plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More bad luck starting plants
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 23:03:56 -0500

>Chlorine is a fairly natural chemical isn't it. > Is the use of chlorine
better or worse than >drinking bacteria invested water? What are the
alternatives? Jeff

Jeff,
You can find literature and web pages telling you how natural chlorine
is, just like they used to tell you how natural radiation is. Just like
they try to tell you how irradiated food is healthier for you than fresh
food. I would have to study a lot more to answer your questions about
chlorine - but if you check out the web pages, you can get an idea of the
difficulties that are abounding with chlorine. It does occur in nature,
supposedly. What the difference is, I don't yet know - whether it is in
quantity, or form, or what.

However, it was the chlorine-producing industries telling how safe and
natural chlorine is when I looked, and Greenpeace telling how unsafe
chlorine is. The industries profit from our using it, and Greenpeace might
add another low-paying activist job without benefits to its organization if
we support them because of the information they provide. The other site
sells filters for drinking water - don't know if they have one that can
filter out chlorine and the things it binds with or not. So, we can each
choose as to which is more biased.....and who has the most to gain. And what
that gain would be.

As far as bacteria infested water - I wouldn't recommend it. I know at
Y2K time, there was a discussion about this, and ionized oxygen is supposed
to help sterilize water - just a tad of it. Vinegar may do that too, but I
wouldn't count on it without someone's opinion besides mine. And of course,
there is always boiling - but that could have environmental impacts as well
if the fuel was used solely for the boiling.

Thanks for the warning about the baking soda and vinegar:^) I would
hate to rot my brain with fumes while washing my sinks just because of my
ignorance. Maybe it is too late for that......oops, yep, too late - brain
already gone!

Jill