market-farming - Re:Tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marie Kamphefner <kampy AT grm.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Tractors
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:06:43 -0600

Regards to the list:

The state highway crews really put me on edge when they're mowing along the roads.

I have never experienced a tractor roll-over, but our Agco-Allis has roll bars, a canopy and seat belt and it makes me feel safer. As a teenager, I plowed with an old Oliver with the front wheels in the center like a tricycle. The brakes didn't work very well and most of the land I worked on was next to Muddy Creek, a deep, wide, swift-currented brown-watered ditch from hell. The plow was operated with a string. When I came to the end of the row, it was a frenzy of pulling the string at the right time to lift the plow, stomping brake pedals to help with the turn and trying to slow down, turning the knob on the steering wheel at lightening speed, keeping the back wheel and plow off of the creek bank, but plowing the dirt as close to the ditch as possible, turning the steering wheel back and lowering the plow. then, a boring half-mile trek to the other end and half-mile trek back. I finally got sick of all that stress, cut the rows short, then plowed the perimeter of the creek the opposite way of the rows. When my dad and the neighbors got a load of that, you'd have thought I was a serial killer! My mother, bless her heart, defended me and said she thought it was commendable that I was safety conscious and what did he mean by sending me out there with faulty brakes anyway!

Anyway, let's see, what was the subject? Oh. Tractors. Well, yes, I certainly appreciate the safety features of the newer tractors and I especially appreciate hydraulics.

Marie in Missouri

  • Re:Tractors, Peter Worsley, 03/26/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re:Tractors, Mmneedham, 03/27/2001
    • Re:Tractors, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/27/2001
    • Re:Tractors, Marie Kamphefner, 03/27/2001
    • Re:Tractors, Bob Meyer, 03/27/2001