market-farming - Re:Tractors

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Peter Worsley <pwors AT svn.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re:Tractors
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:00:14 -0800

I just bought a New Holland 33 hp "Boomer" 4wd tractor with
"Supersteer". Anybody had experience with these tractors? I'll be
tilling, ripping, mowing, using a loader, potato hiller, and post-hole
auger. The tractor turns on a dime, and so is good for "small holdings"
like mine.

Are there any rules of thumb about what angle or percentage of slope on
a side hill is safe to operate a tractor on? Mine will have a low center
of gravity and 50% water in the rear tires for stability, but side hills
give me the creeps- I saw a rollover into a creekbed once. I had to hold
the guy's head above water until the paramedics got there. He was
pinned, but escaped unhurt, thanks to the soft mud. Peter

  • Re:Tractors, Peter Worsley, 03/26/2001