market-farming - RE: more greenhouse questions!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: more greenhouse questions!
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:11:35 -0600

> My guess is that using soluble nitrate fertilizers in these conditions may
> lead to a
> higher concentration. Organically managed soils, which depend on the
> natural N cycles,
> may have far less nitrate available in cool soil (low light season)
> conditions. An
> interesting trial (at least for me) would be to compare your cold frame
> plants to those
> in a similar structure and soil type to soluble nitrate fed plants.
>
> Keep up the good work!
>
> Alex Mc Gregor
> Walden Farm

Alex,
Thanks. We are already thinking about re-working the grant for
SARE. The premise that organically managed soils are less likely to show
nitrate accumulation is one we agree with and would hope the study showed.
I agree about the comparison with soluble nitrate fed plants - now we just
have to find a 'conventional' grower, growing unconventionally (in unheated
coldframes!!) Our landgrant college folks are still telling people that what
we are doing can't be done - even after eating our greens at meals in
January. Think they'd be willing to participate ? It's an interesting
study, and one that needs to be done if this type of crop production grows.

Alison