market-farming - Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs: Dennis Avery, Rebecca Goldburg and Rick Nichols at The Future of Our Food & Farms Regional Summit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs: Dennis Avery, Rebecca Goldburg and Rick Nichols at The Future of Our Food & Farms Regional Summit
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:11:38 -0600

Very, very interesting.
I would like to forward this to some interested Avery watchers. Could I get
some background on the way this document was constructed. How much of this
is transcript and how much of it reflects interpretation of the interaction.
It reads like a novel...couldn't wait to read the ending! If there is a
recording or transcript available I would certainly be willing to pay for
reproduction and mailing costs.

As you know, I am not a fan of Avery. It seems to me that this panel served
a good purpose. He was shown to be the lying, fact twisting, dishonorable
advocate of indefensible seed technology that he is.

I guess I do think that this is appropriate for the list. I am surrounded
by corn and soybean fields and I know that many of my farmer neighbors plant
GMO corn and soybeans. As a small market grower who grows organically, I
don't think I could ever be certified for a crop like corn because of the
pollen drift problem. Imagine trying to become certified organic for corn
in east central Illinois. Can you imagine any other industry that would be
helpless to fight contamination in the production of its product by a
supplier of a basic input?

My understanding last spring was that there were efficient and speedy tests
available for assessment of GMO contamination. Has anyone seen any data
this year about testing of non-GMO crops for contamination?

Del Williams
Farmer in the Del
Clifton IL