market-farming - Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs: Dennis Avery, Rebecca Goldburg and Rick Nichols at The Future of Our Food & Farms Regional Summit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "sal" <sals AT rain.org>
  • To: <OGL AT LSV.UKY.EDU>, "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group" <SANET-MG AT LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>
  • Subject: Re: An Informed Discussion of GMOs: Dennis Avery, Rebecca Goldburg and Rick Nichols at The Future of Our Food & Farms Regional Summit
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 07:53:48 -0800

I feel for you my friend . There are no GMO or chemical trespass laws and
in fact they use the people in the US as lab rats to test out their new
stuff . the USDA does not care if there is organic corn or not. it small
business and the USDA is a get big or get out type of regulators. they tax
u if you are organic and if you are organic u have to give up a buffer zone
of your land . in corn you may have to move your buffer zone back 6 or 10
or more miles. even then you will test for GMO and not be able to sell your
crop as organic. Avery wins this one. you are right as there are times
of the year the sky is filled with GMO corn pollen and it will take your
organic corn seed and turn it into GMO corn the same year you plant it.
Folks are eating GMO corn now in most everything. I don't think there is
any organic or non GMO corn left in the US anyway or soon there will only be
GMO corn. the only difference between GMO feed corn and food corn (corn
chips,corn flakes , tacos etc. ) is how close you set the combine so its
all the same BT corn and it is in most everything. so forget about GMO
free corn or organic corn in the US unless we import it from Brazil or
somewhere where were they wise enough to Just say NO.