market-farming - Re: USDA strikes again

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "R. Harrill" <brixman AT erols.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: USDA strikes again
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:16:41 -0500

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

> I feel like perhaps the consumers need protection from the USDA...
>
> Maybe
> organic growers will have to go underground - sell gourmet salad mix on the
> black market, have pockets sewn into the linings of overcoats and stuff
> them with Brandywine tomatoes, and deliver in the wee hours in trucks
> marked "tobacco." What a concept!

Marie, you made my day! Thanks for putting it all in perspective. A year or
so ago I
read a blurb that certain MDs had been singled out because they were not
writing enough
prescriptions for toxic drugs. It seems the DEA keeps records that show the
amounts of
controlled substances each doctor prescribes. Evidently, the wayward docs
were trying
some alternative treatments. I guess it won't be too long until we will be
locked up
for not buying our share of pesticides.

Regards,
Rex Harrill