market-farming - Re: UPDATE! Future of Our Food and Farms Summit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MariavHM AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: UPDATE! Future of Our Food and Farms Summit
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:28:19 EST

Hi:

This email is a genuine email, and I am still subscribed to the list. I
appreciate everyone's commitment to agriculture, I have been working in food
and agriculture for well over 20 years. The Future of Our Food and Farms
Summit is an attempt to bring food, farming and hunger issues together and
help create a stronger food system in our region. The goal is to host a
Summit where we can talk about issues, and hear from many points of view,
including pro and con on GMO's. We have also invited Rebecca Goldburg from
Environmental Defense -- she is in the session with Dennis Avery -- she'll
present her views critical of GMO's. We really strugged with whether and how
to deal with the issue of GMO's, and it was a difficult decision for the
Steering Committee to make, but in the end we decided that we needed to
create opportunities for the leaders to ably debate each other. We understand
and respect the concerns of people who may not agree. Thanks for your concern
and support. Below is the brief description of sessions and the list of
speakers attending the Summit. It'll give you an idea of what we are trying
to achieve.

Maria

Maria van Hekken
Farmers' Market Trust
3760 Manchester Road (home office)
Allentown, PA 18104-2240
610-530-2584
610-530-2586 fax
mariavhm AT aol.comIn a message dated 11/14/2000 10:23:42 AM Eastern Standard
Time, lflondon AT mindspring.com writes:

In a message dated 11/14/00 10:23:42 AM, lflondon AT mindspring.com writes:

<< On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:23:05 EST, MariavHM AT aol.com wrote:

>UPDATE! Register for Future of Our Food and Farms Summit

This post was hit-and-run SPAM.

Interesting. MariavHM AT aol.com subscribed long enough to
drop this post in our midst, then unsubscribed. I'll bet that email
id is a fake. Their usual tactics.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon AT mindspring.com
london AT metalab.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/london
http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture

THURSDAY SESSIONS INCLUDE

1:30 P.M. TO 3 P.M.
An Overview of the US Food System - Come learn about the five major trends
currently impacting the food industry in this country!

Learn from Women in Agriculture - Learn from women leaders who are fully
immersed in the issues facing agriculture and actively trying to find
solutions. Learn how women are thriving in and bringing new perspectives to
all parts of agriculture and the food system.

The Supermarket Project: Small Farmers Using Computer Technology and the
Internet to Cooperatively Market Their Products - Learn about innovative
strategies to increase direct marketing opportunities for rural community
cooperatives; including e-commerce, consumer education and labeling; and
promotion of local produce, specialty vegetables and value-added products.

Youth in Agriculture Symposium - MANRA (Minorities in Agriculture and Natural
Resources Association) - Learn how to involve youth in team decision-making
as it relates to agricultural issues.

Environmental Quality Initiative - Learn how decisions you make as a consumer
affect our natural environment.

3:30 P.M. TO 5:00 P.M.
Farm to School Initiative - Getting Local Produce into Our Schools - Some
have successfully integrated local produce into their food programs.
Strategize about adoption of this program for your schools.

Dairy Farming - What’s Up with Milk- Are too many dairy farmers getting out
of dairy? Are consumers drinking enough milk?

Marketing Horticultural Foods to Today’s Health Conscious Consumer - Experts
will describe how health benefits can be used to market herbs and fresh
fruits and vegetables.

Expanding The WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program To Serve More Farmers,
Mothers And Children - Discuss strategies for maximizing participation in
the WIC farmers market nutrition program.

How to Preserve Farmland and Sustain Farming - Discuss with experts the state
of open space preservation efforts and how this significant work can help
sustain farming in the region.

Involving Youth in the Food System - Learn ways to involve youth in the food
system using hands-on experiences. Youth and adults both will enjoy this
session.

Minority Entrepreneurs - Innovative minority market opportunities in the food
system in the Mid-Atlantic region.

5:30 TO 9:00 P.M.
Dinner at Jack McDavid’s - Dinner at the home of renowned chef Jack McDavid,
proprietor of Down Home Diner and Jack’s Firehouse.

FRIDAY SESSIONS INCLUDE

8:30 A.M. TO 10:00 A.M.
Discussing the Role of Genetic Engineering in Plant Food Production - What
type of regulatory and/or labeling system should be in place to monitor
genetically engineered organisms?

Inner City Supermarkets: Critical Link in a Just Food System - What does it
take to establish inner-city supermarkets and successfully maintain them?

Edible Connections - This interactive session will give you the tools to
change the way your community talks about the local food system.

"From Our Farms": A New Initiative to teach Families about Food, Nutrition, &
the Farm - "From Our Farms" takes a unique approach to Community Supported
Agriculture by collaborating with local farmers...with the purpose of
promoting local agriculture and good nutrition.

Yes, Virginia, There Really are Gardens in New Jersey! - Learn about the
variety of produce grown, the strength of marketing efforts, and how Jersey
Fresh produce reaches consumers from Montreal to Miami.

10:30 A.M. TO 12:00 NOON
Improving Youth Diets - Explore the environment in which youth make their
food decisions.

Cooperatives: Connecting Producers with Consumers - Learn about cooperative
structures, steps in organizing, and tips for effective operations.

Marketing Natural Beef - The direct marketing of high quality beef to the
consumer provides a sustainable method for small and part-time farmers to
compete for market share and price recovery.

Sustainable Marketing Alternatives for Ethnic Produce in the Mid-Atlantic
Region - Analyze real cases of diversifying farm enterprises and ethnic
produce market opportunities and offers some food for thought and a
networking opportunity for a sustainable future of our food and farms.

Making Connections: Food for Everyone - Join this wide-ranging discussion of
the many ways connections are created between communities, corporations, and
consumers to ensure food for everyone.

Community Food Security Initiative - Is your community being "deprived" of
available federal funds that can support local agriculture while improving
the diets of low-income adults and children?

LEARN FROM THE EXPERTS
Karen Anderson NOFA New Jersey
Troy Bishopp Bishopp’s Custom Grazing
Rebecca Bond Rural Coalition
Steve Brown Brown’s Thriftway Markets
J. Lynne Brown Penn State University
Dick Burruss Agricultural and Community Development Services
Charles Cathcart Keystone Development Center
Everett Chamberlain Rutgers Cooperative Extension
JoAnn Connelly Greater Philadelphia Food Bank
Isobel Contento Teachers College, Columbia University
Chuck Cruickshank Land O’Lakes
Mary Cummings Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Joanne Denworth 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania
Father Randy Eldridge Rural Coalition
Gerald Ely Susquehanna County USDA
Pete Feretti Penn State University
Christine Filardo Produce for Better Health Foundation
Daisy Garrett Mississippi Association of Cooperatives
Carl German University of Delaware
Alison Harmon Penn State University
Hope Holland New Jersey Department of Agriculture
Luanne Hughes Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Cindy Javor Allegheny Cooperative Extension
Wesley Kline, Ph.D. Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Pam Koch Teachers College, Columbia University
Jock Lauterer Penn State University
Gail Lennon Fall River Wild Rice
Toni Liquori Community Food Resource Center, NYC
James Locker Penn State University
Cathy Lyons Penn State University
Audrey Maretzki Penn State University
Mark McGuigan Greenpace Alliance
Robert Mickel Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Sheila Miller Pennsylvania Legislator
Sue Mitchem PA Hunger Action Center
Stuart Nunnery Campaign For Food Literacy
Richard Poorbaugh Penn State University
Peter Pugliese, MD The Pugliese Group
Jim Quarella Bellview Farms
Ken Regal Just Harvest
Dominic Ritardi New Jersey Department of Agriculture
Karima Rose Farmers’ Market Trust
Lori Sandman Environmental Quality Initiative
Patricia Scott Department of Defense
Sandy Sherman Farmers’ Market Trust
Luis Sierra Rural Development Center
Kate Smith AUS Consultants
Crystal Smithmeyer Pennsylvania Council of Cooperatives
Greg Solt Penn State Cooperative Extension
Paula Spilman Clearfield County Cooperative Extension
Fran Stallings Triumph Baptist Church, Philadelphia
Patrick Temple-West Archdiocese of Philadelphia
Stephan Tubene, Ph.D Maryland Cooperative Extension
Rick VanVranken Rutgers Cooperative Extension
Karen Wilson Greater Philadelphia Coalition Against Hunger
Lynn Wolf Penn State Cooperative Extension

PLUS MANRA Executive Board members, MANRA students from the Philadelphia
area, and other youth and young adult food system experts