market-farming - Re: Lowering pH

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Peg Cook" <pegcook AT northnet.org>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lowering pH
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:00:02 -0400

I would highly recommend to everyone to BE CAREFUL when dealing with trace
elements!!!!! I have seen so many Growers (vegetables, small fruits,
ornamentals and field crops) screw up their crops by the addition of trace
elements. The best way that I have seen in my 29 years of soil testing and
crop consulting in handling trace elements is to "balance the soil system"
while using Soft or Black Rock Phosphate as well as other "commercial"
organic fertilizers. When you are talking in "ppm" for a trace element over
an acre size area, you do need much to create toxicity problems to foul up
nutrient uptake!!! To put this in perspective, think of a 5 Lb. bag of
sugar and you are going to spread this over 43,560 sqft.!!!

Peg Cook, Agronomist
Cook's Consulting
Lowville, NY.

pegcook AT northnet.org