market-farming - Re: Beneficial Insects

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel AT usit.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Beneficial Insects
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:12:07 -0400

Tom,
YOu need to have the plants that beneficials use for food, mating, shelter
already on
site. It will draw the bugs. If you order bugs, but don't have the habitat,
they won't
stay. Peaceful Valley Farm Supply sells a "Good Bug Blend". You can always
make your
own with perennials and herbs. Some of the most popular are:

Dill, mustard, thyme, sweet clover, anise, caraway, Queen Anne's lace, yarrow,
sunflowers, nasturtiums, fennel, tansy, buckwheat, hairy vetch, coreopsis,
cosmos,
angelica, bishop's weed, coriander, chervil, marigolds, chrysanthemum,
spearmint, sweet
alyssum, candytuft etc.

Planting to attract beneficials is called farmscaping. We practice it here -
and this
has been a great year so far. We leave a border around fields and also place
small
plantings in different places within our raised beds. Ladybugs everywhere
you look and
lots of ladybug larvae - which really looks weird.

To steal a phrase.....attract them and they will come :)

Cheri Shelnutt
Sweet Hollow Farm
NE Tennessee