market-farming - Holding Strawberries / Fruit Leather

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Holding Strawberries / Fruit Leather
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 07:46:32 -0500

This is our first year to have any quantity of strawberries. We grow for CSA. WE are organically certified. We are growing an everbearing variety that was namelessly donated to us.

While we pick the berries daily, I'm appalled by the short storage life they have. It seem like about 4 hours!! We are essentially moving them from the field to the 42 degree fridge in gallon containers without washing. Within a couple of hours they seem very soft and there has been some mold growing. Should I dip the berries in something or is there some other prep I should be doing?

I asked about drying strawberries earlier. I'm not happy with the results we got. Now I'm ready to try fruitleather. Can someone give me tips on making fruit leather, especially from strawberries?

Thanks

-Allan