market-farming - Re: Beneficial Insects

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Martin Cooke <m.cooke AT dcs.shef.ac.uk>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Beneficial Insects
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 10:42:37 +0100

> From: Cheri Shelnutt <cshel AT usit.net>

> You can always make your
> own with perennials and herbs. Some of the most popular are:

> Dill, mustard, thyme, sweet clover, anise, caraway, Queen Anne's lace,
> yarrow,
> sunflowers, nasturtiums, fennel, tansy, buckwheat, hairy vetch, coreopsis,
> cosmos,
> angelica, bishop's weed, coriander, chervil, marigolds, chrysanthemum,
> spearmint, alyssum, candytuft etc.

Also consider some annuals:

Phacelia tanacetifolia is great for bees and has been used as a green
manure. It self-sows (and can be pulled out easily where it isn't
wanted).

Limnanthes douglasii (poached egg plant) brings in the hoverflies and
bees. Again, it seeds itself freely. This is less easily pulled out and
could be considered invasive by some...

Both are beautiful plants, esp. when covered in said insects :-)

Another great resource (probably mentioned on this list before my time)
is the Plants for a Future database at http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf,
which is web-searchable and comprehensive. Search for wildlife
attracting plants there.

Small ponds dotted about also help.

Martin