market-farming - RE Labels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William McKay" <bmckay55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE Labels
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 10:41:26 PDT

I am sorry that I have only been half following the discussion on labels and do not know if anyone has mentioned this. If you use a regular paper label, it will be destroyed by watering. At first the paper will crinkle some, then crinkle so badly that it is difficult to read. The problem is exacerbated if you use an ink jet printer. There is a greater probability the ink will run (which it never will do with a laser printer.

One way around this, albeit a somewhat expensive one, is to use the clear labels. Rather than paper, they are made out of some sort of plastic. They do not crinkle and if you do them on a laser printer, the ink will never run. I got some at the local staples, but the cost was $20 for a box of 750 which figures out at close to three cents each. However, they do make a mighty fine label for an expensive plant; you can put a fair amount of information on the label.

I have used old plastic venetian blinds, cut into 6" pieces with a plastic label stuck on for a pretty professional looking sticker.

Bill McKay in E. Massachusetts