market-farming - of farmers' markets and town council

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: of farmers' markets and town council
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 15:36:26

Just an update for those who responded to my previous post:

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I did quite a bunch of research
on the web and have put together a packet of information supporting the
effect of farmers' markets on the surrounding community. The best came from
the 1983 May-June issue of California Agriculture. The article did surveys
of customers, farmers, and surrounding businesses of farmers' markets in
Tracy and Stockton CA. It actually gave some concrete figures. I presented
this packet to the town marketing team and they were very supportive, of
course I think that may have been a case of the preacher preaching to the
choir. I am now awaiting a meeting with the town council.

It looks as if I will be assuming the leadership role in developing this
market. The marketing team indicated that all they were waiting on in
regards to starting a farmers' market was someone to take on the
responsibility of actually doing it. Since I would be doing much of the
same work in promoting my own produce stand, I think its great. Instaed of
paying money for an ad in the paper fpr my own stand, it calls for a news
article on the market.

Now I'm working on rules for the market. I want to keep it pretty lenient,
not because I want it that way, I'd prefer a producer only market limited
to the surrounding counties, but need to respect the 'free trade'
atmosphere of the town (town flea-market every first Sat.). And trying to
anticipate stumbling blocks- like keeping it cheap on the town budget.

Amy K. Johnson
Long Island VA