market-farming - Re: More on Earthway precision seeder troubles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Hugh Lovel <uai AT alltel.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More on Earthway precision seeder troubles
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:43:50 -0500

>We've struggled with the Earthway seeder for several years now and I
>thought we just had a lemon. It's better than hand sowing, but the
>frustration is not good for the farmer. Ours jams seeds between the plate
>and the bin, fails to pick up seed like lettuce. skips, etc. I end up
>using the plates with cups for most seeds, guessing at the right one.
>Changing the plates can be close to impossible- I finally modified some of
>them with a knife. The fertilizer attachment gives me trouble too - I've
>found one pelleted fish based fertilizer that works some of the time. Has
>anyone found a reliable way to get the fertilizer to flow?
>Does anyone have experience with Planet Junior seeders ( much more
>expensive, I know)? I have an old rusted one that I hope to repair. I've
>also heard there's a source for used ones. Does anyone know this resource?
>

>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: uai AT alltel.net
>$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe send email to lyris AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
>with message text containing: subscribe market-farming

Dear Market Farmers,

Earthway seeder, huh?

The first day I used this li'l jewel I took the handle off and turned it
around so I could move forward as well as pack the soil on top of the seeds
I just planted. Then I sawed the handle off a small paint brush and drilled
and screwed it into the seed box sideways so the bristles swept the seed
plate as it turned and all the seed then fell like it was supposed to. THEN
it was a fairly satisfactory tool. Plus for spinach and small beet seed,
etc. I put tape across the flat gaps of an okra/beet plate so LESS seed
would fall, but still more seed than with the spinach plate, which was
inadequate. I've been tempted over the past 14 years to make photos and
send them to Earthway showing how their seeders OUGHT to be set up to
function halfway decently, but I never got around to it. I've been blown
off by manufacturers before when I tried to give them suggestions, so bleep
'em. As it is my Earthway planter--for which I give them credit where
due--is nearly indispensible for my 6 acre market garden operation. I'm
sure someone will come up with something better if they try, though.

Best,
Hugh Lovel

I still sow squash and watermelons by hand, directly in a freshly mulched
bed. If the mulch has been down a few days, however, lchances are mice have
taken up residence or soon will, and they will eat your squash seed before
it has a chance to germinate.

Anything else?