market-farming - Re: More on Earthway precision seeder troubles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Molly Petersons <petersns AT whidbey.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: More on Earthway precision seeder troubles
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:26:13 -0800

We've struggled with the Earthway seeder for several years now and I
thought we just had a lemon. It's better than hand sowing, but the
frustration is not good for the farmer. Ours jams seeds between the plate
and the bin, fails to pick up seed like lettuce. skips, etc. I end up
using the plates with cups for most seeds, guessing at the right one.
Changing the plates can be close to impossible- I finally modified some of
them with a knife. The fertilizer attachment gives me trouble too - I've
found one pelleted fish based fertilizer that works some of the time. Has
anyone found a reliable way to get the fertilizer to flow?
Does anyone have experience with Planet Junior seeders ( much more
expensive, I know)? I have an old rusted one that I hope to repair. I've
also heard there's a source for used ones. Does anyone know this resource?