market-farming - Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Rose & Fred Lieberman" <pyrite AT clarityconnect.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:32:42 -0800

Hi, Alex. Thanks for the help.

The problem, however, changed. You see, we did have a marketing plan for
this cutflower business.

Retail sales were going to be accomplished thru local and regional farmers
markets.

Then, on to florists and flower wholesalers.

The latter two marketing channels won't even speak to a new grower without
something in hand. So, the plan was to approach them when things were
growing. Now would be much too early.

As far as population centers go, we're not anywhere near a very large
center. However, we are the only serious cutflower grower around.

But, what started out to be 5 farmers markets, has eroded to 1. That was
the result of new and/or more rigorously enforced rules about out-of-county
vendors; not to mention that infighting is likely going to destroy another
farmers market.

So, you see, the retail "plan" was in place.

What I'm left with is this...

1. I know I want to do a significant amount of retail sales. (This is
true only until the time I can wholesale in a "big way.")

2. If I cannot retail thru farmers markets, then what about roadside
venues.

Since I'm a cutflower grower, I wouldn't have much to offer in the way of
CSA's.

I should have been clearer in presenting my plight. I left out the fact
that we are cutflower growers. Some veggies, but 80% flowers.

So, my question to the group - and still to you and anyone else who cares to
help - is:

Does anyone "do it on their own" - say, on a roadside stand, or a rented
space?

Rose