market-farming - Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: HELP w/non-farmers markets...
  • Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 08:11:15 -0500

I have not ever sold at a farmers market. We sell wholesale to a large
organic grocer in
the area, to restraurants and people who come to our farm. Our farm sits way
back off the
road on a dead end street so we get NO drive by traffic. We sell mainly from
word of
mouth. We do live in a area that is filling up with housing developments
etc. and we
haven't even tapped into our neighbors yet. We started off by going to some
of the area
health food stores and dropping off brochures on our farm. We had a couple
local
newspapers do stories on us which also helped. Your local newspaper might be
interested
in what you are doing. Its worth a try. We also did a mailing to some
nutruition
consultants and they have been a wonderful source of referrals. This will be
our first
year with an offical on site farm stand/market. We have a new building going
up and that
will free up some space. We'll see how it goes. I am always conflicted
about having the
people out to the farm and losing my privacy but at the same time I do enjoy
our customers
and appreciate their interest. I often make a point of showing the kids
around and they
absolutely love it. My kids love it too. The visiting kids will pet the
pony or gather
eggs and be thrilled. The parents feel their children have experienced farm
life. My
kids on the other hand know you can't really experience farm life unless you
do the nitty
gritty work!
Networking with other farmers is also a good source of business. We work
with several
farmers in our area who don't have what we have or the other way around and
refer
customers back and forth.
Sue