market-farming - moldy hay and farmer's lung

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Michaele Blakely" <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: moldy hay and farmer's lung
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 12:27:31 -0800

Hi All:

Just got back in town and was absolutely delighted to see the wonderful info crossing this list.  I just read it all and saw no posting on this so thought I'd send out a word of caution to those of you who use moldy hay/straw for mulching.  Be aware of farmer's lung which is a condition that occurs with breathing in the mold that grows in straw and hay.  Just use a dust mask when you spread it, or for that matter when you clean anything that could potentially have mold growing i.e. a chicken coop that's gotten wet, a barn etc.  Here in Washington most farmers are pretty aware of it because it is wet here, but don't know about the rest of the country.  So if I'm passing on old info I apologize, I just wanted to make sure as it can be quite serious.  A neighbor got it and he will never be the same.
Michaele
Growing Things
Carnation WA

  • moldy hay and farmer's lung, Michaele Blakely, 01/31/2000