market-farming - Re: smorgasbord - dogs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: smorgasbord - dogs
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:30:23 -0700

Liz,
I hope your border collie works out better than ours. We
too got a puppy and she would get in the pens with the
chickens and eat right alongside them. She was 6 weeks when
we got her, but she started chasing more and more - the
guineas and ducks and the chickens AND the boys. They're 3
and 4 years old and weren't learning fast enough to push her
down. The last day we had her a chicken got out of the
pasture pen and she chased that poor bird all over the
place. Luckily she was still young enough to be cute and
they found her another place to live where she could herd
BIGGER animals.
The next day we found a 2 1/2 year old great pyr/chow mix.
He's much calmer around the chickens - we raise pastured
poultry, so wanted something that will have the guardian
personality. We have lots of coyotes, owls, coons and
neighbor dogs. So far he's doing pretty good.
Sorry to hear about your experience last year with the wild
dogs and hope he helps!

Marcy

> Elizabeth Pike wrote:
>
> Dogs-we just bought a border collie. We've had advice,
> for when we restock our chickens, to get a border collie
> pup & raise it in the pen, right along with the chicks.
> (For those who don't know, we had wild dogs destroy a
> flock of 80 chickens & 5 meat rabbits last year, not once,
> but twice , 40 chicks the last time). Before doing this
> though, I wanted to get to know the breed. He is a great
> herder, as witnessed by all our holey socks (around the
> ankles) & chewed shoe strings. As for protection, he's
> still a bit young. He really likes the UPS man & barks at
> rain-don't know if this is a good sign! He is great for
> staying right where the "herd" is, rarely moves far from
> us or the house.

  • Re: smorgasbord - dogs, Marc & Marcy, 01/31/2000