market-farming - FW: (Freezing?) New Rules at our Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
  • To: Market Farming List <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: FW: (Freezing?) New Rules at our Farmers' Market
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:43:22 -0800

----------
From: "Ericka & Rich Dana" <doodles AT netins.net>
To: organicgrowing AT eGroups.com
Subject: Canning at Farmers' Markets
Date: Wed, Jan 12, 2000, 11:06 AM

I wrote this before on the OG list, am adding to it & sending it on re: the
berry question.

In Iowa City our Market inspector comes regularly to make sure all the rules
are being followed. He's a state inspector. Eggs must be at the right
temperature in a cooler, baked goods must be labeled properly (ingred. and
baker contact info.), and until this year, no canned goods or dehydrated
products were allowed.

As of this year (1999) we could sell dried herbs, etc., and
jams and jellies, but no canned tomatoes, sauces, salsas or meats/other
vegetables. We still can't sell custard (eggie) pies or baked goods. The
rules are very specific here. The announcement flyer re: the new rules we
got from our martket master was a little vague on some things, so I called
the state dept. to clarify - I esp. wanted to know if I could sell dried
(dehydrated) tomatoes, and the person I spoke to said she thought I could.

I only had them there for the final week, so when the inspector comes around
this year I'm going to corner him and find out for sure, and get more
details on other stuff. We're thinking about certifying our summer kitchen,
but it's so multi-purpose for me now that it might not be worth limiting
it's usefulness for a small product line.

I'd like to know about berries, too. I'd like to dry strawberries and I'm
starting to grow cranberries this year, and they're great dried.

Ericka

--The Mighty Oak was once a little nut that held its ground.

  • FW: (Freezing?) New Rules at our Farmers' Market, Ericka & Rich Dana, 01/31/2000