market-farming - horse power

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: horse power
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 11:31:45 -0800

Hi Liz and list, I caution you to really think about getting draft
horses(although I seem to recall you already have horses) unless you really
like horses and have some "extra" time to devote to them. And some other
jobs besides farm work ie hayrides. We have a team. There are three adults
involved in this farming endeavor and one who works quite a few hours with
the horses. The horses are you might say our "draw" what makes us unique.
We are a CSA/farm that offers hayrides. They have not yet done much farm
work probably will this year. They had some manners to learn prior to last
summer so last summer was their first public use. They are beautiful and
are wonderful "conversation" pieces but ya gotta love 'em. Beth

> one who drives the tractor-to mow. I'm forcing him to teach me. So far,
> I've managed to do everything I can by hand, my own hand, but I need to
> expand to more acreage. I'd like to do it without the tractor, been
> considering draft horses, but we have the tractor & I just hate having it
> sit there! I'm getting a hand this summer though, the yankee Marine who
> rents our mobile home. He's fascinated with farming. Now, if I can just
> keep him off Civil War discussions.

  • horse power, Hook Family, 01/31/2000