livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Kate Spinner <kespinner@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 23:35:21 -0400

I honestly find it very difficult to believe that anyone would be "freaked" by someone cracking nuts ... but maybe your friend brought something exotic.

Whole pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds are all actually pretty common and you can get many of them at grocery stores, at least in the U.S. I don't think so many generations have lapsed that people cannot fathom cracking nuts or - for that matter - shelling beans or pulling up potatoes (or peanuts).

I can see where animal products are more removed from common interaction and the raw product could be daunting. But that is due to regulations that prohibit - or require pet-food labeling - of raw milk and egg products, not because people are too stupid figure out that eggs from a neighbor's chickens are probably healthier than the stuff at the grocery store.

In fact, I don't know anyone who would take a grocery store egg over a fresh egg, and I have always lived in urban areas where people don't see chickens.

- Kate