livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "You don't actually drink the milk do you?"
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:12:55 -0400

On 08/30/2011 04:49 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
Sorry Paul, I don't believe there is actually a way back for these "you
don't actually drink the milk do you" people. It is not just the egg that
comes out of the back end of a chicken that freaks these people out. I was
in hospital a few months ago and a visitor brought me nuts and a nutcracker.
Soon after I found myself surrounded by 5 nurses and a young doctor who
neither of them had ever seen anyone crack a nut and eat the inside. It
freaked two of the nurses really out.
I am afraid this tendency has been going for 2-3 generations and that it has
become seriously entrenched.
john

And it goes way beyond such bewilderment/queasiness about unfamiliar *real* foods. I visited a guy yesterday who is experimenting--with excellent results--with converting biosolids from a municipal water treatment plant using earthworms, producing castings, with pathogens and toxins neutralized. He's proposed to three different local municipalities that they consider a "vermistabilization" project for dealing with their biosolids in ways that would save them money and generate a more useful soil amendment and zero pollution--but has been unable to get any traction at all. Opposition arises out of a horror of human s**t and a preference that it be "out of sight, out of mind," which in turn is based on utter ignorance of natural processes e.g. how nature safely (and beneficially) disposes of excrement using decomposer organisms.

See http://vermistabilization.com/VERMISTABILIZATION.html for more on this guy's work.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK (Chelsea Green) is scheduled to ship
from the printer September 14.
www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock