livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Comfrey

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Michelle" <mklose@embarqmail.com>
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Comfrey
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:31:30 -0500

<<Here's a lot of info on comfrey. Anyone growing it for animal feed?>>

I am growing it for my goats and chickens. I just planted 6 roots last Fall. Three of the plants are already about 2 feet tall, and 3 other's are just barely poking out of the ground. I'm thinking maybe I planted those 3 late bloomers upside down or something. I had a very hard time telling which way was up!

The article was very informative. I knew comfrey was a good compost activator, but not a good mulch/fertilizer tea. I'm also very glad to see it adds potash. My garden is a bit lacking in potash. I usually add all of the wood fireplace ashes I can get and that helps some.

Thanks for the info,
Michelle in TX