internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] question about hacktool.rootkit

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] question about hacktool.rootkit
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:28:36 -0400

Hi Judy,

I hope this link works:
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2002-011710-0057-99

That is a search of the A/V database at Symantec and their response to
hacktool.rootkit (no results found for 'oaannf.sys'). There is also a
tab on Removal where at the end they recommend you do all the steps in
Safe Mode. Since you've already been round 4 times the A/V scan
circle, I would start in Safe Mode and perform the removal steps.

The Symantec page lists this as a Risk Level 1: Very Low Threat. I
hope that is the case and that the removal steps finally work.
However malware is being packed together these days and the oaannf.sys
was the file it identified. No mention of the other files it
cannot/did not recognize.

Personally, for most system infections that are bad (especially if
they involve the word 'rootkit') I tend to rebuild the system and
restore known safe data. Good luck with your remediation efforts!
Also, try Malware Bytes (free) because it is awesome!

David M.