internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Heat Pump Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Heat Pump Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:51:20 -0400

On 08/30/2010 11:01 AM, Tarus Balog wrote:
Thanks for the info. I had a chat with my neighbor who knows more about these
things than I do, and at the moment I'm thinking about getting the smaller
unit repaired, as the compressor is still pretty solid and these damn heat
pump things are expensive.

The main driver I had for getting a new unit was the tax credits for SEER 14+
units. But the advice I got was to go with a lower SEER unit (say a 12)
simply because the electronics involved are much, much less complex. It's
like buying a original VW Beetle. Sure they aren't as efficient, but the
money you save in initial cost and a lifetime of repair more than offsets
dealing with issues with the electronics once they are out of warranty.

Hi Tarus,

If your heat pump is more than ten years old, I think it might be worth considering the upgrade. I used to see complaints about the complexity and unreliability of HVAC systems with SEER ratings above 12 seer when they began showing up in the late eighties/early nineties, but these systems have been in production for many years now and are mass produced. The kinks have been worked out. So unless you want to go with 18 SEER or higher I would not be concerned. The systems in your car are several times more elaborate, and (depending on brand/model) they can be made very reliable.

I'm thinking about upgrading our dual zone setup myself, ours is what the builder installed in '92 and is wearing out. We're paying close to $300 a month for electricity right now, and every wasted watt is putting more carbon in the skies. I'm taking a close look at the alternatives. You might want to consider having an energy assessment of your home performed, you can get them for free. There might be ways to improve your home's cooling & heating without spending a lot.
One example is to buy the cheap fiberglass air filters and replace them every month. They resist airflow much less than heavy filters and allow more cooling.

But I digress... Good luck with your systems.

Scott C.