internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Heat Pump Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Heat Pump Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:01:19 -0400

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Heath Roberts wrote:

> Get two or three quotes, if you can (residential contractors tend to be
> busy this time of year), and see who sounds reasonable.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but I'd appreciate a note back to the list
> with your experience, after you're done.

Thanks for the info. I had a chat with my neighbor who knows more about these
things than I do, and at the moment I'm thinking about getting the smaller
unit repaired, as the compressor is still pretty solid and these damn heat
pump things are expensive.

The main driver I had for getting a new unit was the tax credits for SEER 14+
units. But the advice I got was to go with a lower SEER unit (say a 12)
simply because the electronics involved are much, much less complex. It's
like buying a original VW Beetle. Sure they aren't as efficient, but the
money you save in initial cost and a lifetime of repair more than offsets
dealing with issues with the electronics once they are out of warranty.

I'm used to making buying decisions on electronics and things like cars but
man is researching heat pumps difficult.

-T
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer Main: +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc. Fax: +1 503 961 7746
Email: tarus AT opennms.org URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C