internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Jalapena Poppers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Jalapena Poppers
  • Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 15:04:23 -0400

Roger Austin wrote:
I hate to move on from the fun topics, but does anyone have a good recipe
for jalapeño poppers. I had one from Mexican cooking class back in the
early '90s, but finding it again would be a miracle. All this rain and I
have a bumper crop of peppers. Thanks, Roger

"Guy's Big Bite" on the Food Network just ran an episode, "Poker Night",
that included jalapeño poppers. (Guy Fieri calls them stuffed jalapeños,
but they are the same thing served at my in-laws restaurant and bars)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guys-big-bite-/italian-stuffed-jalapenos-recipe/index.html

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
10 min
Cook Time:
15 min

Level:
Easy

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

* 15 jalapeños, preferably red, cut in 1/2, seeded and deveined
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
* 2 pounds mild Italian sausage, casings removed
* 1/4 cup minced red onion
* 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
* 3 tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 cups mascarpone or cream cheese
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
* Salt and pepper
* 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and set a rack in the middle of the oven.

Place jalapeños on a sheet tray and roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Turn broiler on medium.

Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan. Add the sausage and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onions, peppers, and garlic and cook to soften for about 5 minutes. Remove and place in a large bowl. Cool to room temperature, then add mascarpone, and Parmesan. Mix ingredients thoroughly and season with salt and pepper.

Place approximately 1 tablespoon of mixture into each jalapeño half, and top with 1/2 teaspoon of mozzarella cheese.

Place the sheet tray of stuffed peppers in oven and broil until mozzarella cheese melts.

-Courtesy Food Network, 2008

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA