internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Brown <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Time Warner to meter users' Internet traffic
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 19:01:25 -0400

On the question of DSL vs. Cable I have some insights.

In Raleigh I use TWC.  I don't like where things are going with the metering.

On the Outer Banks for my public and office networks I use a combination of Embarq DSL and Charter cable modems.  The Embarq DSL is equal to Charter and TWC cable modems in terms of reliablility.  Speed is even better with 10 meg down and poor, crippled upload as expected.

I don't think I'll ever see FiOS at the NC Outer Banks so this is probably as good as it gets.

Being a 1/4 time remote worker I'd consider DSL as a home ISP.

Greg