internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Local ISP Alternatives?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Local ISP Alternatives?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:31:41 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Calvin Powers wrote:

With the upcoming price raises from Time Warner, I'm investigating options
on how to reduce my cable/internet bill. I have a couple of questions I was
hoping internetworkers could help answer:

1) Have any of you tried out the "Roadrunner Lite" service from Time
Warner? They charge 24.95 for a 769kBps download speed. I'm curious if they
really do regulate the speed down this low and also what the upload speed is
(they don't say AFAIK). Is 768Kbps good enough for streaming things like you
tube etc?

2) Is it possible to get DSL service if I don't have a land line? What are
the typical speeds and prices charged for DSL

3) Are there any local ISPs that offer internet access from home other than
Time Warner and Bell South?

AT&T is rolling out their U-verse cable and Internet service, but "in select -- but undisclosed -- neighborhoods in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and Garner."

http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1334275.html

regards,
Steve B