internetworkers - [internetworkers] Local ISP Alternatives?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Local ISP Alternatives?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 11:24:21 -0500

Howdy all,

With the upcoming price raises from Time Warner, I'm investigating options on how to reduce my cable/internet bill. I have a couple of questions I was hoping internetworkers could help answer:

1) Have any of you tried out the "Roadrunner Lite" service from Time Warner?  They charge 24.95 for a 769kBps download speed. I'm curious if they really do regulate the speed down this low and also what the upload speed is (they don't say AFAIK). Is 768Kbps good enough for streaming things like you tube etc?

2) Is it possible to get DSL service if I don't have a land line? What are the typical speeds and prices charged for DSL

3) Are there any local ISPs that offer internet access from home other than Time Warner and Bell South?

--
tune in to the finest roots rock, alt.country, deep blues and righteous soul at www.taprootradio.com