internetworkers - [internetworkers] scrap/parts places in RTP?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] scrap/parts places in RTP?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 13:06:35 -0400 (EDT)

Fwd'ing question for a friend:

"Where are the 'builder' stores around here (anywhere in RTP area, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, etc.)... folks that have old/broken electronics surplus, electric motors, salvaged industrial equipment, wiper motors, gears, etc. ? I'm thinking about putting together an automated halloween project or two http://www.perfessorevil.com/propboy/axworthy.htm
Here is an amazing list
http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/

I'm not looking for specific parts yet, just some places to go poke around in!"

My suggestions are:
Scrap Exchange, Durham
http://www.scrapexchange.org/
2 blocks from Piedmont restaurant, opposite direction from Carolina Theatre

NC State Surplus, Raleigh
http://www.doa.state.nc.us/ssp/
On Hwy 54 just across from/west of Trinity Rd

NCSU surplus facility, Raleigh
http://www7.acs.ncsu.edu/materialsmgmt/MaterialsSupport/surplus/sale_guide.asp
in the Agricultural research area of the NCSU campus

Anyone with other, better ideas of where to go?

(Forwarded the question partly to share the halloween links, partly because I'd like to know where to go for such items that I don't already know about.)

thanks,
Steve B