internetworkers - [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Susan LaBarre" <idodesign AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Wildwackywonderfulwomenoftheworld'" <wildwackywonderfulwomenoftheworld AT googlegroups.com>, <NC_CAN AT yahoogroups.com>, <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Peace in Our Hearts, Peace in the World... and Peace in the Park this Saturday
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:43:23 -0400

It is early September and media images of war and violence are imprinted upon our minds and hearts as we continue to endure destructive economic and political forces unleashed by a species that will not recognize ourselves in one another.

Life on earth is gloriously diverse and infinitely adaptive. Nearly 7 billion human voices compete for _expression_: some amicably, some violently. While competition and dominance appears to be hardwired into the human psyche, in the hearts of all humanity is also a common denominator: the desire for love, health, and safety. For eons, we have squandered endless resources seeking safety through territorial dominance and war. But the truest path to community safety is peace.

We stand at a turning point. To meet the challenge of global climate changes, we must pull together as nations, recognize our commonality, and embrace peace. International efforts at peacemaking have largely failed. Effective peacemaking is actually an inside job. It first resonates in our own hearts and ripples out into the community and ultimately the world. Empirical scientific studies have repeatedly demonstrated that when only 1% of a community practices 30 minutes of daily prayer, meditation or quiet reflection, local crime rates fall significantly. Whether it’s rooted in God or physics, some invisible connective thread ripples through the other 99% to achieve these results. We are starting here in the Triangle, and as more and more communities engage in this practice, we can eventually achieve enough of a critical mass to impact the entire population.

11 Days in September is the inaugural _expression_ of the One% initiative. Through September 11th, a multi-faith coalition of Triangle congregations and secular groups are participating in One% events. As a community, we will join together this Saturday for a 10:30am multi-faith peace service at Unity Church of the Triangle in the Long View Center on Moore Square in downtown Raleigh. John Davies, the man behind the science, will be our main speaker. Then at noon, hundreds of us will gather outdoors in Moore Square for 30 minutes of ‘Peace in the Park’.

I invite you to join us. You can visit our website at www.whenonepercent for more information about this week's One% events, One% locations around the Triangle, and the empirical science underlying the One% phenomenon

“Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.”

Susan LaBarre

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us and the world will live as one."

John Lennon

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

 Margaret Mead