internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] UFO Reported Over Charlotte?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] UFO Reported Over Charlotte?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:28:46 -0500

Mark does have a point.  Around about, oh, 1983, 1984 I was in the back of my family's Ford Granada (we called it the "Grenade") driving along Catalina Highway outside of Tucson, heading home from something-or-another.  Over the Catalina Mountains to the North East I saw a very bright light in the sky and alerted mom who promptly pulled the car over to take a look.  As the object got brighter it start to leave a trail of what could only be described as sparks in the sky.  After a few more seconds (5, 10, 15? who knows) the object flash brightly then split into a half-dozen other objects all leaving trails of sparks.

The they all disappeared.

When we got home we turned on the TV immediately and found what we had witnessed was a part of a Russian made rocket reentering the atmosphere and breaking up.  The whole event took only one minute, TOPS, from beginning to end but it was an amazing sight.  When I think of bright objects entering the atmosphere I think of a show like that.

This Charlotte and Mark's thing sounds different.  What is it?  No idea.  But last week there was a comet that was so bright it was visible during daylight hours.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/070114_comet_mcnaught.html

Not sure if it could be seen around these parts, but I'm sure people called this thing in as a UFO.

Greg

On 1/26/07, Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net> wrote:
Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>   Some witnesses who contacted the Observer on Thursday wondered whether it
>   could be debris from the recent anti-satellite test by China.
>
> That's as good an explanation as any and MUCH better than the alternatives.

Tanner, you know satellites don't put on that kind of show when they
burn up.

If you'll recall, it became a popular sport among astronomers to watch
Iridium satellites reenter the atmosphere. They'd provide a nice flash
in the sky (if you knew where to look) and then poof, they were gone. No
mass hysteria, no UFO reports. Certainly nothing like this.

Any satellite China successfully managed to zap would supposedly reenter
in much smaller pieces: a reentry much less spectacular than a full
satellite. So what could have been a nice flash has now been reduced to
something even less noticable.

The NORAD spokesman said this is "probably not" related to the Chinese
anti-satellite tests. Its their job to track space junk and they're
pretty good at it, so I'll take his word for it.

Kelly had an appointment in Wake Forest on Tuesday evening, so these are
definitely separate sightings on different evenings.

Two spectacular fireballs twenty-two hours apart? Figure the odds!

Mark

---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/